We have been here in Ohio for about 3 wks now. There has been so much good, but of course you have to take some bad with it…Right??
Some of the good things..
1. A few days ago, for the first time my Papa called me by my name. He did not say Angie, as he has for the past 36 years (I don’t really like being called that), he actually called me Angela as I have always asked him to call me. The good thing about this is that, this was the first time that I have know that he knew who I was.
2. My uncle came to visit my grandfather. Papa has been asking for him for over a year now, and he finally came. Bad circumstances, but he still came!
3. No trips to the ER this wkend for Papa.
4. My dad is trying really hard to try to keep the house clean, since we hired the cleaner to come in and do a deep scrub!
5. The living room is almost completely done at my mom’s house. (I hope that organizing will help her to keep from getting that room in Hoarders Way again.)
6. My dad has been letting drive his car when the weather does not call for rain. This is to help me with the high cost of gas going back and forth everyday!
7. I have been able to make it to the church I attended as a teen 2 times for Sunday services.
8. Jaden was able to attend Vacation Bible School, and had a blast. I so love the fact that I was able to get him into a bit of a smaller group than we have in Vegas.
9. I was able to meet Katie from Domestic Debacle, she is a good friend of my sister, and I am slowing getting to know her through her blog entries. If you read this Katie, thanks for taking such good care of my sister!
10. My papa had a trusting moment and came to talk with me the other afternoon. He was hugely confused (thought that my uncle was possibly my husband), but at the same time came upstairs to confide in me. (he really has not talked much to me during this visit.
11. Papa has spent much time playing with the kids. He sits in his chair, but I love to hear him laugh and play with them, or even try to scare them, as he did us when we were little. The memories of him irritating us, played a large part of my childhood, and now he is doing the same honery things to my kids (he did not do this a couple of years ago when I was home).
12. Mama has been going outside to play with Jaden, she looks for frogs and helps him to catch them. She saves the plastic containers from the berries so he has them when we go to the house. She also gets out the nets for him so that he can catch bugs and butterflies!
13. My dad has been able to work some extra over time since we have been here. It really helps with getting his things paid off, and giving him a bit of cushion room. My sister and I have actually been able to go out to eat, and not feel like we are leaving him out.
14. I have been able to spend every day with my dad. It has been good, we used to be like best friends..but like every relationship, finances have taken their toll. We have both done really well at not fighting about money. And I was able to show him on paper how little money there really is.
15. I called and got some insurance quotes from a few different companies for my dad. He has not had quotes given to him ever. He has had the same company since he got his license when he was 16, because that was the company that his dad always had. And we decided with taking the household to a new insurance company to save almost $900 a year!
16. It has been raining the past few days here. I have not seen this much rain in years. Not that I love to get wet, but… I stopped by to visit a friend today, and while I was at her house I was standing outside and the rain just flooded down…. I felt like a kid. I walked slowly from her house out to the barn with no worries, I flipped my hair out of my face and continued my stroll. I also enjoyed just watching my kids as they did the same things. Then going out to the barn, I thought to myself… that smell, the fresh smell of animals (ok wet animals is not that great)none the less, I still miss…. the feeling of… SIMPLE COUNTRY and to breathe without the odor of exhaust from cars and city. Then Shyla says ” mommy, it stinks in here like skunk”. I laughed and closed my eyes for a moment, as I rubbed Magic’s head!
17. I have been able to spend a lot of time over at my sisters house. Not sure how much help I have been over there, but I have been able to help with a bit of cleaning in the kitchen for her. She has been down and out since I have been here, so not able to keep up with everything as usual. As bad as her pain has been, I am glad that I have been able to help out a little.
18. When my uncle was here, my mom’s sister also came to have a sit down discussion, the 3 of them. I am happy to announce that my uncle sided with my mom, and my papa will not be attending a nursing home as my aunt would strongly want. Sorry Helen you lost again…Nope sorry, I am wrong…I am not sorry!!
This wk has been good. Many different things coming together for my family. Many different things in life are changing for all involved, many sad things that I wish my family did not have to face, but many things to remind us how blessed we are to have resources!