To work or not to work, has been my question the past few days. I have thought on and off about it the last few years, but have not done anything but just contemplate!
You see, unlike a lot of military spouses I had a job already lined up several months before our move here to Vegas. I was working in the insurance industry and the agent that I worked for made a few calls, and found an agent that was interested in hiring me. In turn after being mostly sold by my agent, I had to complete selling myself to the new agent over the phone. We went back and forth, and I was offered a NICE salary!
When I first got to Vegas, within the first couple of days, I drove to the agent’s office to introduce myself in person. Then when I got back to where we were staying I immediately started in on trying to find daycare for our almost 3-year-old! My goodness it was outrageous the cost per month. Then on top of the price, that I of course was going to have no choice but to pay, I could NOT find anyone that had an opening for him. I called 32 providers on base alone, and then also tried calling everything daycare out of the phone book. I had NO options, everyone was full. After several wks, I had to let the agent know that I was NOT going to start work with her. I did not jump out of the blue with this, I had been giving her wkly reports, so she knew that I was having problems.
A couple of months later I was in the agent’s office that we have ALL of our policies with (same company, just different agency). We spoke briefly, and he mentioned about if I was ever interested in working, he would be interested in hiring me. Then about a year later we spoke again and he mentioned it again. We actually went more in-depth about the offer, and talked about me being able to work from home. It was still just a thought at that time, and then upon investigation, I found out that I would have to take all my tests again ( I was previously licensed for… Life, Health, Property and Casualty), and it turned out that I was prego with Shyla too. That was going to be a lot of work! So I decided, I did not want to take on the obligation.
Then when I got back from Ohio, and had Schyler (3 babies total now), I was in the office when we were buying this house. He talked with me again, he said I could still work from home, and to think about it.
Now, many years later! I was in the office picking up the girl’s life insurance policies that I just bought, and we actually spoke more in-depth about it. He asked me if I would be interested in coming and working on selling Life Insurance. Not that I have ever written on here, but I am a FANATIC on Life Insurance. We talked about me mostly working from home again, and on my own schedule. He knows that we are military, and won’t be here for ever.
So, basically I am undecided. I have been praying that God will lead me to the right direction. I’m still undecided. Good and bad these have been my thoughts.
1. Many people are searching for jobs, and this one keeps knocking, when I’m not even looking.
2. Does this job offer keep falling on me for a reason, is God telling me that it’s here and I should quit being stubborn and take it?
3. Do I really want to take the time to get licensed again? The studying and testing I spent ALOT of time on, and I didn’t even have kids yet.
4. How many people get the opportunity to be a SAHM and work a job from home, on their own schedule? (I can put as many hours into as I want, there is no minimum either)
5. It would be commission only, so of course the more effort I put in the more goes in my pocket.
6. I am a perfectionist when it comes to work. Will I mistakenly put work before my family?
7. At the moment both of the girls are in a program that will put them both in a 1/2 day preschool, next year. That would give me a couple of hours a day, that I would not feel bad working, and might actually enjoy having something to do.
8. I would not only be making phone calls, but I would be setting appointments to discuss the Life Insurance in person. I would have to depend on Sean taking care of the kids, and most of the time I can’t even count on him being home when I don’t have anything scheduled. If I’m going to work, I can not be cancelling appointments.
9. This would be extra savings for us, for retirement, that is just around the corner. It would give us a chance to get back on track, for that HUGE down payment on some property and a house. ( we will as of right now, be retired by October 2014)
So, these are my thoughts. I’m just not sure what way to turn? I feel as though this opportunity keeps being put in my lap for a reason. I’m just not sure if it is…
1. to see where my priority is with my family vs. work?
2. or just because it is God’s plan for some reason, that I don’t know right now
If you have any great ideas for me to mull over, please let me know! And I should mention that he told me that there is a class for a wk, that they have you go to now (they didn’t do this when I tested before) so I would have to get someone to watch the kids. However, he did say he would pay for the class!
Can’t wait to see your thoughts on this~